Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

“Parte de la Familia”



We had only been with them a day, and yet at the market the father of our home-stay family introduced me as his “hijo” (son). Within a day we had gone from complete strangers to a part of the family. This simple phrase completely describes our relationship. We have been adopted into a Bolivian family and have experienced love, service, concern (and sometimes even invasion of privacy) just like any other member of the family.

In our family, the father does most of the cooking. Yes, this is abnormal for South America, but for Rolando, it is part of his nature. In his mind, meal time is for the whole family to be together, and it is his way to maintain connection with his loved ones. You could say “cooking for” is his love language and our family is loved every day with mostly agreeable meals. One special thing he does for me is to save a bowl of the noon-meal soup (which I’m unable to eat because I’m in class) for me to have with my dinner.

Our Bolivian mother helps Rolando in the kitchen, washes our clothes by hand, and somehow finds time to work in their leather shop as well. She has a sweet disposition and loves to engage in meaningful conversations. She and her daughter have especially fallen in love with Michaela. It is nice to have two who are so willing to take her at any moment: to sing to, dance with, or take outside.

We have been blessed to be welcomed into this family. Of course, we had our concerns at the beginning. Were we going to get along with them? Were they even trustworthy? Both of these anxieties have proved to be empty worries. Time after time they have tried to protect us “gringos” from getting taken advantage of. Just the other day, Eli returned 1000 Bs. to us (around $120) that I had hidden in a sock. Julie didn’t know about it and had thrown it in the wash. Though I was trying to be careful and avert temptation, our Bolivian mom assured us we have nothing to fear.

Lest I paint a picture too perfect, there have been definite challenges to our new family situation. The American side of us feels that we’ve been stripped of some of our personal independence and privacy. We might even go so far to say that these people are “overly enmeshed.” Julie and I have been given ample unsolicited parenting advice and financial suggestions (if they think we’ve spent to much on something). We have to lovingly bend with some things and set boundaries with others.

I don’t believe our experience is unique to just our family. As I’ve talked with the rest of the team, it basically typifies what all four of the families in home-stays have experienced. The very people, to whom we’ve come to give God’s love, have first shown us an incredible love and acceptance. We pray daily that our 24/7 witness and communication, though it often be in broken Spanish, will only further strengthen these bonds until they are founded in Christ.

No comments: