Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

R and R

As a reward for Josh finally finishing Quechua the first week in July, we decided to take a little family vacation time! It's been a busy few months, and we figured that from here on out it will only get busier (starting small groups, beginning the contact center, planning for the church launch, finding a location for the church to meet, not to mention the fact that a pregnant woman in her 3rd trimester - or for that matter, a newborn baby - can't travel very well!) We were a little limited in our options of where to go, because we can't leave the country as our visas are in process, and we can't go someplace tropical, because this pregnant woman hasn't had her yellow fever shot! We wanted to see a part of Bolivia we haven't seen before, so in the end, we went south, close to the Argentine border, to a city called Tarija. Our tour book describes it as a "Mediterranean" type climate, very similar to where we live. And this is the area of Bolivia that is the wine producing region! It was lovely! We stayed at a resort on a cliff overlooking a river and the city. It was perfect for our family, quiet, beautiful gardens, a playground for Michaela, a jacuzzi, a frigobar in our room (to keep Michaela's milk), a restaurant open around the clock (most restaurants work on Bolivian time - a 1:00 lunch and a 7:00 dinner, which makes it hard with little ones). The city of Tarija was smaller than Cochabamba, but very well maintained. We walked into town one day, took a tour of the local lake, hiked down to the river around our hotel. But mostly we just rested. Read, talked. Played with Michaela. Enjoyed our first family vacation with Michaela. We're thankful for the overwhelming blessings He puts in our lives - including the priveledge of being able to vacation in places like Tarija!

3 comments:

Larry Stephens said...

Thanks for posting some new pictures. I hope we get a chance to visit on the phone before too long. Love to you all.
Babu

Diane said...

Beautiful faces and beautiful country. We're so happy you were able to get away for a few days. Was there good bird watching there?! Lots of love, Mom

Diane said...

Beautiful faces and beautiful country. We're so happy you were able to get away for a few days. Was there good bird watching there?! Lots of love, Mom