Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Giving it to God

Lately, I've been wondering what God is trying to teach me through all the struggles of the last few months. And I think that over the last couple days, the lesson has been driven home in a way that I don't think I have ever understood before...

Thursday night, Michaela started vomiting, and Friday morning started running a fever. I called our doctor, and he thought it was probably some kind of flu virus and gave me some medicines to give her to help with the vomiting. Friday night I was nursing Eliana and putting her to sleep when all of a sudden I heard Josh yelling my name. I rushed out of the room to find him holding Michaela. She was convulsing and then went limp. I have never been so afraid in my life! We immediately rushed out the door and to the car, me calling our pediatrician on the way. I tossed Eliana in her car seat and took Michaela from Josh. He drove like a crazy man from our house to the closest, most reliable clinic - honking, passing cars, hopping curbs, running red lights. And as I was sitting there holding the limp, unconcious body of our Michaela, all I could do was say "Oh, God, please", and keep trying to get her to respond to something - at least she was breathing. I have never felt so helpless before - and Josh kept saying "She's in His hands, Julie." She finally threw up all over me in the car, and that seemed to help her.

We got to the hospital, and rushed her to the emergency room, where she started crying. Our pediatrician arrived shortly afterward - I have never been so happy so see someone in my life! We thought maybe she had an allergic reaction to the medicine, or possibly had hit her head (now we think she fell when she had the seizure, when Josh picked her up at the beginning, he thought the fall triggered the seizure). But Dr. Monroy was almost positive it was a febrile seizure - one related to the fever she had been running.

They put her on an IV, and we stayed overnight for them to monitor her and run some lab work - thankfully, the lab work all came back negative for bacteria (the doctor would have run some more tests for meningitis if it had come back positive), and her electrolytes were fine, which made him sure that it was a virus.

We got home yesterday afternoon, and she's on some meds for the fever, vomiting and an anti-seizure. Her stomach is still bothering her, and she is just really fussy and wants to be held all the time - but she's alive! and talking!

Again, I just wonder what God is trying to teach us through all of this - in my earlier blog, I talked about His sovereignty and I think that's part of it. But I think more than that, He just wants me to give everything to him - knowing it's not my strength, but His.

Josh's swollen lymphnodes - Give it to God.

Stomach viruses and amoebas and colds and strep throat- Give it to God.

Daily frustrations of living in Bolivia - Give it to God.

Surprise! Third baby is on the way! - Give it to God.

Yes, even the lives of your children - Give it to God.

"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." Ps. 68:24

7 comments:

PNG Fords said...

Congrats on Baby #3!! Sorry to hear about all of the health problems. You are really having some difficult times. You guys are in our prayers. God will take care of you.

Marie said...

Ok- sitting here trying to read your blog through the tears. I could feel the fear creeping up in my throat. I am SO thankful that Michalea is ok. I am so thankful that you can also see the lessons that He is teaching you- as hard as it may be to go through, I can only pray that the end result is worth everything. Congrats on baby #3. We will be keeping you in our prayers!!

Bob, Sarah, and Miriam Logsdon said...

Julie, I was so touched by your blog about Michalea. Life is such a fragile thing, only I don't always think about it like that. Our children are such a blessing, but thanks for reminding me they are God's first. Congratulations on the coming baby! What a beautiful family!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a roller coaster! I was so scared when I read about Michaela. Thank God you are all OK.

I do know life in Bolivia can be frustrating. May the Lord grant you peace and opportunities to minister to your neighbors.

Ken Hines

Jason said...

Wonderful news on baby #3 - even if surprising! :) These sound like trying times. We praise God with you for Josh's good news with his health, and Michalea's recovery. We will continue to pray for you. God is near to you - may you be constantly aware of his presence. -- Nicole

The Team said...

We love you and praise God for your lives. Your work is bringing Him praise and glory and Satan is doing everything in his power to discourage that. We are so proud to be family and to be so close to you guys. Please know that you are constantly in our prayers.. we will be seeing you in a few days at the Evangelistic Campaign... really looking forward to it.. and Zion is excited to see his cousins. Love you. Proud of you
Jenny

Heather said...

Wow.
Thank you for how you continually give your life, and the lives He's entrusted to you, over to Him.
We love you and have so much that we continue to be thankful for in you!