Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Musings and Goodbyes

Goodbyes are a part of life. And for a missionary kid/now missionary, they have become almost second nature. Not to say that I handle goodbyes in the best way. I've developed some coping strategies to transitions and goodbyes that might or might not be the healthiest. I think I deal with goodbyes in the same way I deal with past friendships. My mom always said that friendship is a blessing from God, given in certain seasons of life. We won't always have a "bosom" friend - in Anne of Green Gables language - but when we do, we should live it up and be thankful for the time we have with that particular person. All that to say, I see friendship as something that comes and goes with the seasons of life. I don't do the greatest job of keeping in contact with past friends - not that they were/ are not important. I guess I feel like sometimes I just don't have the emotional energy to maintain past and present friendships. Which is not to say memories of people and places don't surface with certain triggers. But I've found it easier to just not dwell on my memories of Kenya and of good, good friends. It's just too difficult. When those triggers arise, I might have a good cry - or journal a bit - and then I move on with the present.

I'm rambling. The reason I'm blogging today is because I had to say goodbye again, and I figured that I better put all this down while it's fresh. We said goodbye to the Custers today - it still seems all a little surreal. I can't believe they're gone and not coming back. It's hard to imagine how life will be different here with just 4 families rather than 5 (redistributing responsibilties, changes in team dynamics) - those of you who are on a mission team know that you become close like family. And our friendship with the Custers went back even farther than our team formation. We met Drew and Jamie when they were first dating - Drew was doing youth ministry and we were doing Hispanic ministry at the same church. We double dated a few times during their dating relationship, had many a conversation about our dreams of mission work in South America, Jamie and I endured several difficult years working and teaching in the Memphis school system, and finally through lots of prayer - we committed to working together somewhere in South America. Josh and Drew have been long time prayer partners, and Jamie and I have enjoyed many a "mommy" talk and prayer together as well. All that to say, we will miss them a lot - we'll miss Drew's good humor, vision, leadership and Jamie's sweet spirit, teaching skills and organization. And I'll miss the friendship that I knew would grow up between Hannah and Eliana. Since hearing the news that they were going back, I've been through a roller coaster of emotions (a little bit like the grieving process, because you're 'losing' someone important to you) -again, those who have been on mission teams probably know the best the variety of emotions you go through (and it probably doesn't help that I'm a little hormonal with 1st trimester pregnancy). Mostly I have just been sad. But we are very thankful for the 6 years that we have known the Custers, and the year and a half they were here with us in Cochabamba. They have left their mark on people's lives, on our team, and on us. We pray God's greatest blessing on them as they return to the States - that God would place them somewhere where they will feel fulfilled and content, and would use their many gifts to His glory. We love you guys, Drew, Jamie and Hannah, and will be praying for you as you transition into your new life Stateside.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Julie,
I prayed specifically for your team last night in our home group and for all the adjustments you all are making again. I know you know but it bears repeating again, we all have a friend who will never leave us and that we will never have to adjust to being without. Lots of love, Mom

Nicole Whaley said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, Julie. I have also prayed specifically for the team as you all transition. Hang in there. Love, Nicole

Drew Custer said...

Julie,
Thanks for the sweet blog. I love you and miss you already.

Jamie

Cheryl said...

Bless you guys. You remain in my prayers...love you---

Campbell Family said...

Won't heaven be wonderful? No tears, no goodbyes, no sad partings or long separations -- ever! I love you and you are in my thoughts and daily prayers.

Milt Langston said...

Julie,

My name is Milton. I am a friend of Jenny and Erik from San Angelo, Texas. I have two daughters who are missionaries. Your "sweet" pain in saying goodbye to your dear friends is a tribute to our Lord and an encouragement to me.

God bless you. God give you peace, grace and power in your service, and may he mulitply to you new near and dear friends to add to the ones you already have been blessed with.

God be with you!