Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My Granddaddy

Last week we got an email from my mom saying that my granddaddy was on his way to a cardiac center in Michigan, as they were pretty sure he had had a heart attack. Turns out they aren't sure if he did or not, but his heart was in pretty bad shape and they decided to do quadruple bipass surgery. After a few days of waiting due to some blood and pulmonary problems, they did what seemed to be a successful triple bipass surgery. But complications developed, as often do in 83 year old men, my granddaddy had some breathing problems, developed pneumonia, had to have a temporary pacemaker installed etc.

Needless to say, it's been a difficult couple of weeks for my family. My mom has taken off work temporarily to be able to be with my grandmother and granddaddy at the hospital. I just got an email from my dad saying that things continue to look bad for granddaddy - and that within another week, they'll have to make some tough decisions about medical care, seeing as his chances of recovery are slim.

I was very thankful when I heard of the successful surgery - I guess I started thinking about how nice it would be to have Granddaddy to be able to meet Eliana and the new little great-grandaughter that will be joining our family before we go back next June on furlough. But maybe God is ready for this great servant of his to join the ranks in heaven.

Growing up in Kenya had some sacrifices to it. I didn't get to spend much time with my grandparents. But I have always loved and respected my grandparents so much. My granddaddy has been preaching for all of his adult life - up until the Sunday before these heart problems occured - and has touched countless lives for Jesus. He is a joyful, humble, people-loving servant of the Lord, and I am so proud to have him as a grandfather. He never forgets a person's name once he meets them (a talet I wish I inherited!)

Anyway, I guess I am requesting your prayers for my grandfather and my whole family as they face this together. I knew being gone for 2 and a half years that both Josh and I might have to face some family loss from afar. But it still makes me sad to think I might never get to see his baby blue eyes smiling again - and let my 2 little girls meet him.

Thank you for your prayers and your love and support. I am so thankful for the Christian faith - for being able to face times like this with the hope of heaven and the love of Christ.

4 comments:

Drew Custer said...

I'll be praying for him.
Jamie

Larry Stephens said...

Thank you Julie for your words about Granddaddy. I know your mother will appreciate them.
Dad

Cheryl said...

We will be praying for all of you. I'm so sorry for this difficult time. I'm sure your sweet words will mean so much to your Granddaddy and all your family...

Megan said...

teamAREQUIPA is praying for your granddaddy.