Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Family Camp 2007

When we began discussing ministries as a team during the beginning stages of our development, several on our team expressed the desire to coordinate and network with the already existing churches in Bolivia. Since the beginning of our time here, we have attempted to visit and encourage the brethren in all parts of the country, and in return have been much encouraged as well. However, we didn't want to encroach on things that are already happening among the churches. For example, there is a yearly ladies and mens conference that the congregations organize. So we decided to plan something a little different - a retreat focused on families. Josh has had some experience planning and organizing these during our years working for the iglesia in Memphis (thanks, Jim!) and so had at least some idea of where to start. And I must say, I have a husband with a head for details - so he made a great point man. However, it was definitely a team effort. The Sandovals and Forbesses helped so much with the logistics and made sure the camp went smoothly. One of the newly baptized brothers, Pedro, organized all the sports tournaments. The ladies and I planned Bible classes for the kids during the adult classes. And we invited a Bolivian brother, Tom Allen, who has been preaching in the States for the last 10 years to come down and give the classes. He did a wonderful job presenting from the book "A Purpose Driven Life" and gave the best sermon I've heard in a long time on Sunday (partly because both girls slept through most of it - they were so tired!). And God is so good. He used the camp and Tom as a catalyst for 7 baptisms last Sunday! 4 of those baptized were ones Josh has been studying with for months - so he was very excited. By the time the weekend was over, I was ready to pass out I was so tired - but it was a wonderful experience all the same. Here are a few pictures from the camp and Sunday's baptisms.

The camp was about an hour from Cochabamba near a lake called Coroni. It was beautiful and cool - at a higher elevation than Cochabamba - and a welcome escape from the warmer days right now where we live.


Here's a view of some of the cabins. Families slept together with 3-4 families per cabin.


This is one of the main worship times in the chapel. We had 5 worship times with singing and a lesson.


Here's a picture of the group. We had representation from Sucre, La Paz, 2 churches in Santa Cruz and Cochabamba - a total of about 130 people including children.


Meals were provided by the camp and were tasty Bolivian fare. Here is a picture of fellowship time in the eating hall.


We planned a mini-VBS for the kids, with lessons focusing around the "I Am"s of Jesus, songs, and an activity.


Sports tournaments were planned especially for the adults, with groups competing from each church - men and women. Here are the kids playing dodge ball. There was even a rock climbing wall - which was a big hit.


We held a talent show the last night which was a lot of fun. The kids performed a couple songs we had practiced during the class time. Josh and his sister Jenny sang a Paul Simon song (Jenny played guitar and Josh harmonica), and also one by the Mexican group Mana.


Here is a picture of one of the baptisms on Sunday morning. Unfortuately all the pictures turned out a little fuzzy. This is Pedro, who was baptized along with his wife Beatrice and teenage daughter Rebeca. Josh has been studying with their family since June.


We also held a special inauguration for the contact center and unveiled a new sign. We are partnering with Tom Allen's church which also has a Christian Education Center. They are providing funds every month for the purchasing of materials for the library. We are very excited and grateful for the help we're recieving from them.

4 comments:

Diane said...

We are so excited for the whole team! God is good, all the time.
May God bless the good soil of those new Christians' hearts. Diane

Drew Custer said...

I am so glad to hear that everything went so well. 7 baptisms!!! Great news.
Jamie

laura said...

Julie... thank you so much for posting new pictures. It's almost hard to believe that there were so many brothers and sisters in one place at one time!!! It makes my heart so happy, although we sure do wish we could've been there! You guys did a great job... know that we miss you!

Angie Washington said...

Amazing! I might have to get the 'datos' for the camp that you were at. It seems like a great place. And what a fabulous ministry time for the whole family. Such a huge need for that here. Good job!