Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Automatic potties? - no, thank you!

Our first day here, we had a traumatic experience in the bathroom. We made a runto Target to buy some things. At one point during that overwhelming experience, Michaela had to go potty. We found the bathroom and got her on the potty only to have it flush loudly as she was sitting down. Poor thing was scared to death - must have thought she was going to get sucked down - it took me two minutes to calm her down and after that, there was no going potty there.

The only problem was that night on the plane, somehow the potty flushed on her again (the flight attendant assured me they are not automatic, so one of us must have bumped the flush button). I spent 5 minutes trying to coerce her to sit down to no avail. When we finally surfaced from the bathroom, the last 2 rows on the plane looked at me like I had been trying to murder my child in the bathroom (I guess she had been screaming fairy loudly!)... Oh, well.

Anyway, now I have to physically demonstate to Michaela that a potty is not self-flushing.

I have just one question for you - what was the silly person thinking who designed that potty?? I hope he or she gets flushed down!!

4 comments:

Angie Washington said...

Oh, Julie, this brings back many memories of similar instances on our trips to the States. Mine wanted to go potty by herself. So I stood outside the stall in the airport bathroom holding the door closed with my hand. The look of terror on my daughters face as she ripped open the door with her pants still around her ankles waddle/running (almost falling down) away from the monstrosity that used to be called a toilet was also infuriating but more humorous to me.

I tell you, it is ALWAYS the plumbing that trips kids up on furlough, ALWAYS. :-)

Jason said...

Poor thing - culture shock affects even the littlest ones.
I am not a big fan of self flushing potties myself...they always seem to flush when you don't want them to and won't flush when you need them to. (Until you finally take the brave step to just walk away and by the time you get to the sinks you hear it flush - such relief!!!)
Hang in there -- Nicole

Anonymous said...

I am being lazy and not logging in but wanted to tell you we have been there, but now Addison is fine with them. They are everywhere here in the states so just be forwarned. Also, if you think that is bad I definitely can tell you some stories about Addiosn and the shower.

Anonymous said...

Poor girl! When we visited Australia recently, Hannah was very frightened by the hand dryers in bathrooms. The things you just never think of... I hope you guys are doing well. Enjoy that 4-part harmony for me. I really miss it! :)
Love,
Jeri