Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

This is a note I posted on facebook after being 'tagged' by several people. I know that I have some blog followers who are not facebook members (namely, my mom. Come on, mom, you've just gotta get an account!). This is posted here for them.

1. I am an addict: to a cup of coffee and Bible reading in the morning, snuggles from my kids, hugs from my hubby, and a real cup of Kenyan chai in the afternoon. I jealously horde my stash of Kenyan tea and spices. It's kind of hard to come by in Bolivia.
2. I never dreamed that I would have 3 girls in 3 years. There have been some tiring moments in the whole process, but I love being a mom, and have enjoyed every stage of my kids' growth and development.
3. I love to read. And I have a special place in my heart for children's literature. I dream of collecting every Caldecott and Newbery winner and of authoring a children's book.
4. I love to travel. Some of my best memories are from family trips. However, traveling has lost it's glamor now that I have to do it with 3 kids.
5. I wouldn't trade growing up in Kenya for the world, and am glad that my kids are having a similar experience. Sometimes I wonder, though, why exactly I decided to bless/curse them with the TCK complex.
6. Cooking is a hobby for me and I am eternally grateful to my mom for teaching me how to cook 'from scratch' and for giving me a multitude of wonderful recipes and to my wonderful friends the Harrolds who have provided me with so many amazing Pampered Chef novelties.
7. There ar 4 things I greatly dislike about living in Bolivia: the buearacracy involved in getting any type of paperwork done, driving (specifically the crazy way they do round-a-bouts), the never-ending unsolicited advice you recieve about raising your kids (namely all the things that you are doing wrong), and the fact that my husband and kids are always getting stomach parasites.
8. I feel more comfortable living outside the United States than in it. Although I miss the convieniences and cleanliness.
9. I never had much of a sense of American pride until I taught American history to 4th graders for 2 years. We really are part of an amazing nation.
10. I miss teaching - but not grading papers or parent/teacher conferences.
11. A combination of perfectionism and a slightly OCD husband require me to keep a very clean home.
12. The first and only guy I ever dated and kissed was my husband.
13. I love Indian food, and miss greatly our favorite Indian restaurants in Memphis. I cried unexplicably like a baby the time my husband ate my Indian food leftovers that were in the fridge. Keep in mind I was 5 months pregnant.
14. My husband and I both grew up within 50km of the equator - just on different continents.
15. I don't like playing sports or watching sports (probably because I am not a very coordinated person) - but I love watching the Olympics. I cheer for America in everything except the track events. Then it's Kenya all the way!
15. I have swum in 3 of the 4 oceans of the world and been in 17 different countries and every state west of the Mississippi except for North Dakota. I would love someday to visit the Northeast part of the US, Japan and Australia.
16. I find it difficult to have the desire to make deep, lasting friendships. Mostly because I don't like saying goodbye and because it's hard to maintain friendships long distance.
17. Facebook, blogging and email are a social, emotional and sometimes even spiritual outlet for me.
18. I wish I had more time for 'me' activties: reading, playing the piano, running.
19. There are many things I love about living in Bolivia: the people, my fresh fruit market, the amazing terrain, our home.
20. I am not much of a pet person, but I loved the dog we had in Memphis. His name was Moshi and he was Mississippi hound dog mutt. We ran together 3 or 4 times a week and he weasled his way into sleeping in the house with us. I cried when we had to give him away before moving to Bolivia.
21. I have taught/worked with children with autism, blindness, deafness, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, learning disabilities. It wasn't easy, but there were some fulfilling moments too.
22. I have become of fan of mystery/crime solving shows. With 3 kids, it's really hard to make it through a movie in one sitting. A show is just about the right length.
23. I have learned from being a parent that every child/parent is different and needs different things at different times. However, speaking on a personal level, I would never change the experience of natural birth or of breastfeeding. Both have been amazing experiences for me.
24. My relationship with Jesus is biggest reason of who I am today. He continually shapes me and forms me. He is the reason for the joy in my life and for my overcoming the daily struggles and sins in my life.
25. I have no idea where God will take my family from this point in our lives but I look forward to growing old with the love of my life.
26. This is extra! If I could go see any person in concert, it would be the Dave Matthews Band, hands down.

3 comments:

Megan said...

#13--I did not realize how much I loved Indian food until we lived in Memphis. I am curious where your favorite restaurant was. Greg and I really liked one over in the Germantown area. Do you have anything like Indian food in Bolivia? I haven't tried it, but Greg went to a Turkish restaurant that reminded him of Indian food. This is making me hungry. :) I enjoyed reading your list. You are such an interesting person.

Diane said...

Julie,
I will get on Facebook eventually someday, I'm sure. I just wonder what will take it's place once I go to all the trouble to learn it! Right now other things are taking priority. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Moshi is such a blessing to us. We love him very much. You and Josh did a wonderful job of raising him. I'll send you some pictures soon. I didn't know that you ran with him. He has grown lazy and spoiled. Maybe I'll start running with him....
Jill :)