Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Inauguration Sunday

After months of prayer and preparation, the Church of Christ was officially launched in Bolivia. We are so thankful for all of you who were present with us in prayer and spirit on that day. I rejoiced in and prayed over all who attended. God is good - all the time!

God's victory was not without struggle against Satan's hand. Our city was embroiled in conflict the entire week before our launch. Coca farmers from the surrounding countryside, in support of president Evo Morales, came into the city to protest the actions of the provincial official, whose actions were contrary to the president's party. For several days, they shut the city center down with blockades, until (as a last resort to get them to leave), the citizens of Cochabamba formed their own march and attempted to route them from the city. 150 were sent to the hospital and 2 were killed. The city was basically shut down. No public transportation was running, and fresh food was hard to come by. Into all this mess flew 23 representatives from Austin Ave. and my parents. We prayed for safety and for the success of the launch, fearing that the turnout would be poor. Already, the representatives from churches in La Paz and Santa Cruz, who had signed up to come, called to cancel, saying they couldn't get bus passage to Cochabamba.

Luckily, the coca farmers aren't paid overtime, or on weekends. So they left town. City life returned to normal, and our Austin Ave. folks were able to escape from their hotel in the center of town and see a few of the sights.

Sunday morning arrived and our building was filled to overflowing. Our biggest surprise was the arrival of one of the elders from Santa Cruz, who had driven all night and personally removed some of the blockades from the road in order to give his blessing. We enjoyed a time of praise and worship, and and inspiring lesson from Butch Sandoval, focusing on each person's need for Christ, especially in light of the political happenings of our city.

The highlight of our morning was the baptism of Camilla, one of our youth. Her mother was one of our first contacts in the city, a former member of one of the Santa Cruz chuches who was ecstatic upon finding our small body.

We are so excited to see the way God is working - already attendance is up on Sunday mornings, and we have a list of visitors to visit. Please pray for God's Spirit to continue to move hearts and minds, as we seek to bring the people of Cochabamba to a better understanding of His person and His will.

A view from a teammate's apartment of the unrest

Josh organized a ballon give away with the help of Austin Ave. to get the word out

Prayer of blessing during inauguration Sunday by one of the Santa Cruz elders

Camilla's baptism

No comments: