Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Monday, August 18, 2008

Furlough Highlights - Take 9

Well, this will be my last posting on our furlough happenings. We spent the last week of our furlough by taking some vacation time with my family. My parents found a lake house for rent right on Lake Huron, a couple hours north of Detroit in a small town called Port Sanilac. My sister and Rusty and their little boy Alex drove up from Memphis - so we were all together! The first time in 3 years. It was great to meet Alex finally and to spend some much needed time relaxing and being together. We got to see lots of pictures from Laura and Rusty's trip to Angola, celebrated my brother's birthday, played lots of games, and spent lots of time outside in the beautiful weather with the kids in the water and in the sand. Josh and I did have to make a trip into Port Huron one day (but we were able to leave the kids with my parents - yeah for grandparents!). We found out that the Bolivian government had denied our permanent residency application, and in order to get back into the country and be able to start the process again, we had to apply Stateside for a special visa. So we spent all day getting all that paperwork worked out and mailed off, plus a new yellow fever shot for me (since I had left my yellow card in Bolivia). But - God is good - we sent our passports off on Tuesday and had them back by Saturday. That must be a record for Bolivian paperwork! Anyway, you can keep our visa situation in your prayers as we will start the application process again this side for our permanent residency. Enough of that sidenote - here are some pictures. Sorry for the multitude - there were just so many good ones I couldn't decide which ones to share.


Swinging...


Playing in the sand


Water and sun


Reading with Nyanya


Uncle Matt and Jana - my brother is so good with the kids and developed some kind of 3rd child rapport with Jana especially.


Land ho! They had this great park in Port Sanilac with a ship on the playground.


Reading books with Babu


Nyanya and the grandkids


Building sandcastles with Daddy


Jana and Auntie Laura


Jana and Uncle Rusty


Daddy and his girls

Cooking with Nyanya


The beauty of the sunrise

8 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Love, love, love all the pictures. I still need to do my own post on our time in MI. It was so much fun, and not nearly long enough. We will look forward to the next time, whenever that may be!

Blog Stalker said...

Looks like a gerat relaxing trip. love the picture of Uncle Rusty and Jana. Priceless!

Angie Washington said...

Those images of the men interacting with children touch my heart. Your children are blessed, Julie.

Diane said...

Good job, Julie. We did have a fun week, didn't we?
Love you, Mom

Jason said...

What a special time. So neat to see all those kids together. Loved the one of Alex with his pearl necklace and sunglasses! Hope you all feel refreshed. God bless you as you continue your work in Cochabamba. -- nicole

Drew Custer said...

I love all the pictures. I like the one of Michaela and her hobo lunch. I bet she had so much fun playing with Alex too. I am so sorry to hear about the visa situation. I will pray that the rest of the process is as easy as possible.
Jamie

Anonymous said...

I, too, got to spend some refreshing time in Michigan...at Brian and Shawna's lake house...at Rochester church and college...one of my disappointments of the summer was not getting to spend more time with Josh and Julie Marcum at the Sikes reunion...I sure love you guys and am so thankful you had these furlough memories...Did you remember that Caleb and Krista were married in Port Huron in a park overlooking the lake? Their rehearsel dinner was downtown at THE RAVEN COFFEEHOUSE.

Cheryl said...

It is so fun to see you all together. I can hear your voices and even smell the food if I try hard enough :-). So thankful you had that week of memories. We love you.