Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Sunday, August 30, 2009

A lifetime

Last night I was honored to attend a concert given in honor of a good friend's parents-in-law. They were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. 2 months ago, as I sat in the mass for our 3 young ladies that died in the accident, I felt that we had now been here in Bolivia for what seems a lifetime... a little melodramatic, I know, but we've experienced so much of life here. Baby showers, births, baptisms, graduations, birthdays, weddings... life... and now death.

I got the same feeling as I sat in the concert last night... the feeling of 'a lifetime'. It was their legacy there on stage. All of their children and grandchildren and even they themselves performing in a talent show, honoring their love to each other. You would be hard pressed to find that much musical talent in another family. The grandkids all performed in a small 'rock' band - singing, percussion, guitars, piano. Then after the break, the father - a professional opera singer - sang several love songs to his wife. She in turn read him a poem she had written. There was a beautifully done ballet, perfomed by a niece. Then all the children and father performed different duets - mostly Spanish folkloric music - singing, guitar, even the traditional Bolivian flauta (that part was amazing!)

I couldn't stop from crying. I hope someday Joshua and I will be able to celebrate our parents lives together in such a way. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness again, remembering the accident, for the second chance Joshua and I have at someday, Lord willing, reaching our 50th together. I don't know what kind of legacy we will leave behind us, but I hope and pray it will be one that glorifies God through the lives of our 3 beautiful children. And finally I mourned the loss again of those 3 beautiful lives. Watching the grandchildren perform on stage made me accutely aware of how much we lost. Each individual's uniqueness: their personality, their talents, their inner beauty.

This morning was another emotional morning. A worship service marking the 2 month anniversary of the accident. It was a wonderful tribute to God's presence with us, His working through His body, gratefulness again for His goodness, celebration of our salvation through His Son, and prayer for those who continue to struggle, both physically and emotionally. Kevin was there for the first time this morning! What a blessing to see him and Bruno sitting together in the front in their wheelchairs, sharing a Bible and weeping together. What a blessing to have the Christian family that helped in the rescue attempt worshipping with us this morning. What a blessing to have Jorge and Sandra, parents of Ariel and Diana, get up and thank the congregation for their constant spiritual and financial support. What a blessing to see Carlos, Miguel's brother, with us. What a blessing, knowing that Miguel is out of the hospital, that surgery went well, although only God knows when and if he will recover completely. What a blessing to be able to call Miguel and Ariel up on the phone and sing to them. What a blessing to have representatives from the Bull's supporting church with us. And what a blessing to be able to eat and fellowship with one another afterwards.

We did our share of crying. But God is continuing to heal with His Spirit and through His body. My prayer is that He will continue to take our 'lifetimes' - both of Josh and I and of his church - and use us to His glory.

2 comments:

Brenda Collins said...

Thank you for sharing such personal thoughts.

@ngie said...

Julie, this was lovely to read. You possess a core of hope and resilience that I admire greatly.