Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Point of Convergence

As I was waiting in line for 45 minutes outside the community center yesterday to refill our gas cans, I had plenty of time to meditate :) My first thought was to be thankful for a cloudy day, so as not to be waiting in the hot sun. My second thought was that it has hardly seemed like Bolivia the last year... no blockades or shortages of anything for a long time. It was too good to last. This week we had a blockade and gas cans became a scarcity again. Thirdly, my thoughts focused around the variety of people waiting in line with me.

Bolivia is interesting that way. There are several places I have been waiting in line, when I'm struck by the wide cross section of people waiting with me (in the identification office, getting my driver's license, and waiting in line for gas refills). I don't remember this being the case in the US...although I do remember waiting in Memphis for 2 and a half hours for my driver's license. Maybe because here everything is still so centralized. In the US (at least in the big cities), there are generally multiple offices for everything... so everything ends up being more 'zoned' for lack of a better word.

As I 'people-watched' yesterday (one of my favorite things to do), I saw the elderly and the youth, most likely waiting in line for their parents; women and men; the wealthy (dressed to the nines) and the poor, probably using a good portion of their week's wages to refill one of their most precious posessions; cholas with babies slung in aguayos and a more modern pregnant woman with a baby in a stroller; and myself, a gringa lady. We were all waiting in line for a nessecary commodity in life. Waiting patiently, because there was no other recourse, and smiles and sighs of relief all around when the gas truck finally pulled up.

A point of convergence. A place where all lives cross, no matter your status, class, color or gender. That's how I felt yesterday. And I was struck by the thought that our churches are supposed to be that way, although I get the feeling that they rarely are. May we all strive a little more to reach out to all types of people for, "You are all sons of God, through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

4 comments:

@ngie said...

So true, Julie. I could hear your sweet lovely voice saying that scripture at the end. Beautiful.

laura said...

So well said my friend... and that's one of the things that I love about our church family here, it feels like that mix of life, from all walks of life we meet together on Mayor Rocha to worship God together and I love it! I'm so blessed to be able to be a part of it with you!

Patti said...

I hear you sister! Amazingly, while growing up, I found that mix in military churches that we were a part of across the globe. Then, again, God has given that beautiful mix of people to us here in South Jersey not too far outside Philadelphia. As you know, when our physical eyes converge properly, we see more clearly. God give us all spiritual eyes that properly converge! GIGATTAATTGIG!
.
Love you!

Diane said...

Dearest Julie,
How beautiful your thoughts. And how true. We're getting ready to have Friend Day here on Sunday and I was thinking how appropriate are your comments. You should consider submitting some of your blogs for publication (e.g. Christian Woman magazine). They're very timely and thought provoking. Love you, Mom