Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Monday, July 06, 2009

And even more updates!

Thank you so much for your continued prayers, especially concerning our worship yesterday....

-Our worship service was packed - I think we had the most people we've ever had, besides our inauguration. We had a special service of scripture readings, songs of encouragment, communion, and prayer over each individual and family involved in the accident. Josh said a few words, and although he said he didn't feel like he did justice to the occasion (being emotionally distraught about it all), I'm confident the Spirit spoke through Him. Unfortunately, I didn't get to listen to him - there were so many people, there weren't even enough chairs - and so many kids, it was hard to hear in the back. So a few of us took the kids upstairs to distract them with coloring and a movie. There were many tears shed, and words of encouragement spoken. At one point in the service, we called each youth group member still in the hospital and sang to them over the cell phones. The most important thing is that God was glorified through it all.

-After the service, the parents of the victims met upstairs with a family lawyer to discuss the legal actions that are going to take place. It wasn't as smooth a meeting as we had hoped - some venting and fault-finding (which is only natural) and emotional reactions... but all in all, we felt the support of most families. There was another meeting today and a decision was made to pursue insurance settlements through the normal channels as a group, and if certain members wish to file further action against the bus company to cover further expenses, that it will be an individual decision. Please continue to pray for the Vargas family who have suffered so much with the loss of Diana and Belen, in the injuries of Ariel and the loss of his hearing aid, and in the continued hospitalization of Miguel. They are suffering a lot (as are many of our families), and we especially pray for their relationship with God at this time. Please pray for our team too as we navigate the unfamiliar and muddy waters of legal action here in Bolivia.

-Wonderful news! Camilla, Rebeca, Bruno and Freddy Vargas were all released from the hospital today! Praise God with us - on a personal level, it brings much rejoicing as I was there in the hospital when 3 of them were brought in, seeing their injuries first hand. Please pray for their continued recovery at home, which will be long especially for Bruno and Rebeca. We're in the process of locating a wheelchair for Bruno - pray that one will be found quickly.

-Kevin, Ariel, JD, and Miguel continue in the hospital. Pray for their continued care and recovery. We are also seaching for a hospital bed for Kevin so that his mother can continue his care more easilly at home... pray that one will be found. And pray for them to be encouraged - extended hospital stays are frustrating on many levels - and for their care givers to have strength and positive attitudes.

-Roland and Carol Bowen leave tomorrow and the Sucre group drove home yesterday. Praise God for the encouragment and help that they brought at such a critical time!

-Our teammates, the Bulls, fly into Coch. tomorrow. Pray for their travels and readjustment into Bolivia, and for them as they face the emotional rollercoaster of ministering to the many needs that are facing us right now.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thank you, Julie, for keeping everyone updated so that our prayers can be more specific. I keep thinking of your last Sunday here, before you left for Bolivia in 2006, and how Josh requested the song "Lord, Make Us Instruments of Your Peace." God is using and will use this awful situation somehow, in some way. To Him be the Glory. Love you much, Mom