Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Updates

We got home from the funerals about an hour ago after a long day of hospital visits, memorial services and graveside services. I wanted to update everyone on the new conditions of all our members...

Josh was released about midday. He is moving very slowly and in quite a bit of pain still, but was insistent about being released so he could attend the funeral services. It took a toll on him, emotionally and physically, but he is resting now with his medication and has no plans to go anywhere for a couple days. Riding in the car on bumpy roads is just too painful! He was able to speak at the graveside services and the memorial service, and although it was hard, I know the families greatly appreciated his effort and presence there.

Bruno Vargas had surgery this morning on his broken collar bone and it went well. He might also have to have some minor surgery on some ligaments in his foot.

Alejandra Moscoso was released from the hospital today. Praise God for her recovery!

Freddy Vargas was to have surgery on his arm tonight at 7pm to set the bone.

Jonathan Sandoval is scheduled for surgery on the compressed disk in his back tomorrow at 2pm. Thankfully, due to the location of the disc, this will be a low risk surgery. They will insert a couple plates to expand the disk back to its proper size.

Rebeca Chavez is out of intensive care! The surgery on her femur went very well, and was less invasive than they thought initially. Instead of having a plate and screws put in, she only had to have some pins. It seems that the other surgeries are unnessecary at this time. Praise God for answered prayers.

Miguel Vargas continues in intensive care in a coma, but is still showing positive signs.

There was huge show of support at the memorial and graveside service today. It was a difficult time for the familes and friends of these girls and for those who were on the bus with them (Bruno Pol, Joshua, and Rachel were all in attendance). The Vargas family buried 2 grandaughters/cousins/nieces while Miguel continues in critial condition. Please pray for Miguel's other 2 children, Abril and Diego, who lost their mom a few years ago and now have lost their older sister while their father is in the hospital. Your prayers for all involved would be appreciated.

13 comments:

Brenda Collins said...

julie, i am so sorry. this is an awful situation. praying that your church members can hold tighter to their faith. i am so so sorry.

Kelly T said...

Donna Harrold asked us to pray for you, and pray we shall. Praising God for the safety and recovery of many, and asking for strength and comfort for the days to come in the face of such loss.

Patti Sikes said...

Julie,
We weep for your losses. We pray "God have mercy... Christ have mercy... God have mercy... Christ mercy..." Please gently hug Josh for us and know that you have prayer warriors in South Jersey.

Cindy and Greg said...

We are praying for you all here at Westside church of Christ in Round Rock Texas. God bless!!!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the updates on everyone and will continue to pray for healing....God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but sometimes it sure feels like that....you are doing an amazing job of staying positive and that speaks volumes...

Jenean said...

May you continue to find the words to help those in need...and may your heart be comforted during this crisis which seems so overwhelming....my cousin Carrie in Texas passed me your blog...I am touched by your story and will pray for you and your family as you continue to serve in miraculous ways~

daddyO and honey said...

i'm so sorry for the loss, it is so hard to read about and yet i know God's mighty right hand is able to heal. i know His eyes are on His people. He is a tender Father. We are praying for your team and the families there.

daniel and cathie orozco
parents of missionaries in lima

Unknown said...

Julie, My heart continues to go out to you all in prayer. I pray for you all and your church family during tough time and the days to come. You have my prayers from Mito, Japan.

Gigi said...

Thanks for posting these updates! In Chile we are praying for our brothers and sisters. We praise God greatly for the ones who are recovering and keep asking for the ones who are still in pain.
Love and blessings!

phyllis said...

Julie,
Glenn and I were saddened to hear about the accident and loss of life. Thank you for the updates, even in the midst of your own emotions. We praise God that Josh will recover although the burden he will carry is heavy. We called to tell Nadine, your Grandmother, and Metro Church (Portland OR)is praying for you.

Gary L Green said...

My heart goes out to you in so many ways. The long term effects this will have on so many families, on the church and on the community are incalculable. May God walk with you so that you feel his presence and may he lead you to a place of healing and wholeness that goes far beyond what we can ask or imagine.

Gary Green
Missions Coordinator, ACU

David and Olivia said...

We received the emails about your situation from good friends of ours and have been praying for you all. It is hard to imagine what you all are going through. Know that you have many people worldwide behind all of you through prayer! May God continue to bless the work He is doing there and give all of you the help and peace you need!
In Him Always,
Olivia and David Nelson (missionaries in Kharkov, Ukraine)

Anonymous said...

You have the prayers of many in Dalhart, TX. Thank you for the updates--we are far away in miles, but not in spirit. Judi