Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Monday, January 25, 2010

7 months later

This blog has been brewing in the back of my head for a long time. I meant to write it last month for the 6 month anniversary of the accident. Kept putting it off, finding excuses not to sit down and do it. Maybe I didn't want to think about it, although I know so many of you out there who have prayed over us during this time would love an update on how everyone is doing.

Then yesterday, we got a really discouraging email from the son of the family who has struggled the most through all of this. Blame, dissappointment with the church, cutting ties with us. It would have been easier to take if there had been an element of gratitude. I cried as I read the email. It was like an emotional aftershock for Josh and I. Opening up all the old questions, doubts and feelings. Of guilt. In hindsight, could we have done anything different to keep this from happening? Did we make the right decision not to actively pursue prosecution of the bus company with the family in question (although the government will prosecute the case in it's own time). Could we have done or said or been anything more to help this family? Of sadness. I wish this had never happened. As much as I would give to bring one of those girls back, I feel selfish in my thankfulness to have Josh by my side. How did God and Jesus so selflessly sacrifice everything for the horrible wrong choices of humanity?

So I just have to cling to the faithfulness of God, who never gives up on us. And to the answered prayers of the last 7 months. Surgeons removed the plate in JD's spine in December. He's making a full recovery. Kevin, Ariel and Bruno are walking without assitence. Rebeca and Bruno are back in university, taking classes again. Camilla had another surgery on her nose that went well. All the kids are back to having fun together. Many are still in physical therapy, but are gaining back the breadth of physical movement. All the families, minus the one mentioned above, remain faithful members of the church and are growing in their walk with God. Naturally, many are afraid to travel. Miguel continues to recover, gaining use of his hand, his right eye now open, now driving, now leading singing during worship service again. Yet especially when seeing Miguel, I'm plagued again by all the 'what if's' and the knowledge of how much was lost. He is having to sell his business and his home.

Your continued prayers are appreciated. We are thankful to have spiritual warriors lifting us up all over the world. Please continue to pray for emotional and physical healing for the youth and their families. Pray for wisdom and grace for our team and leaders. Pray, as we do, for God to be glorified through it all.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Yes, Julie, we have been and continue to pray for you and Josh, there on the front lines in this battle with the prince of this world. Sometimes I think it's like the battle of New Orleans in the early 1800's (I can't remember the exact date). Those soldiers fought because they didn't know the war had ended. Is it Satan who doesn't know the war is ended (Jesus has already claimed the Victory) or does he just want to take as many down with him as possible? I don't know, but it sure makes it hard here sometimes.