Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Thanksgiving in the US

November found us traveling to the US. Although not our regular furlough time, Josh felt the need (after everything that had happened this past year), to get away and unplug. It was a whirlwind of a trip - partly fundraising, partly visiting family and friends... Dallas, Ablilene, Brownwood, San Antonio, Austin, Searcy, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Wichita, Indiahoma, Detroit... all in one month (not to mention in a small rental car... I was very glad to see the end of that car!) We visited 6 different church contacts in 2 weeks and presented our fundraising plan for purchasing property here in Cochacabamba, although the trip was, for the most part, a 'mental health' trip, and we peppered our fundraising routes with stops visiting old friends. And although I chalked it up initially to Josh's need to be with family after the accident, it turns out I needed it just as much (at least my weepiness the first few days was tribute to that fact.) We greatly enjoyed the time catching up with old friends and the refreshment given us by our families. Enjoy the pictures!


We tried staying at a guest house in Santa Cruz on our way the the States and really liked it. This picture was taken on the swing outside.


We enjoyed staying with Betty Kennamer, a long time family friend and supporter in Abilene, and visiting with my brother and his girlfriend (now fiancee!). Ashamedly, I have no pictures with them :(


We spent 4 encouraging days with the church in Brownwood... Michaela loved playing with her new friends...


...and the girls got to see some day old baby goats!


Kody and Kristie Speer, good friends of ours, showed us around downtown San Antonion, a wonderful experience!


We spent a few beautiful fall days in Memphis, catching up with old friends... and eating dinner with one of Josh's cousins, Teresa and her family. Here are the 2nd cousins together!


I felt like I was stealing time in Nashville, because I got to see my sister again (when we said goodbye in May I thought it would be for several years, seeing as they are moving to Angola this year.) I loved the sister time and watching the cousins play together (my nephew Stephen is so cute!). And an extra blessing was having my best childhood friend, Rachel, drive down and spending time together with her and her sister... we went out for Indian food, to a fun indoor playground called the Monkey's Treehouse, reminisced and shared childraising techniques. Here we are... with all our kids! Amazing how our families have grown in the last years.




My sister and I took advantage of the opportunity to take a picture of all the cousins with the personal quilts my mom has made each of them.


We enjoyed spending time in Wichita with our good friends and supporters, the Harrolds. Michaela and Addison are great friends!


We spent Thanksgiving week on the farm in Oklahoma with Josh's family. Josh taught Michaela how to jump on haybales.


Michaela loves playing with James and Kaidan!


Cooking Thanksgiving dinner with Nana.


Guy talk


Jana loves Uncle James!


Feeding the cows


Thanksgiving dinner


Playing Mouse Trap


And lots of dune buggy rides!


We ended our time with my folks in Michigan...


We spent a day at the Henry Ford museum... here we are in a giant hot dog :)...


With Santa Clause...


And at the Legoland display.


We had Christmas together...


And got new pajamas :)


The girls loved singing and dancing with Nyanya playing the piano.

All in all it was a much needed trip and we returned home tired from the traveling, but encouraged and refreshed. We enjoyed seeing all of you and hope to see even more of you on our next trip!

2 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Glad you're back to blogging again. Know you've been busy, but we always enjoy seeing pictures of what you guys have been up to. Looks like we may get another "bonus visit" this next year with the wedding coming up! We'll look forward to seeing you then.

laura said...

Even though we missed you so while you were gone, we are so glad you got to go and "unplug" with family! And it was so fun seeing these pictures... I especially love the one of Michaela in her princess dress on hay bales :) so her!