Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Bulls' goodbye and a Tribute to Team

A lot of transitions and changes happened in the life of our team and church in the last year. The biggest of these was the Bulls' announcement at the beginning of the year of their plans to leave in November of 2010, followed by our announcement in August of our plans to leave a mere 6 weeks after the Bulls. A missionary's job is a strange one; as my husband so often puts it... we're trying to work ourselves out of a job. And although we had initially planned to stay in Bolivia longer (In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9), we are thankful for the 2 strong, faithful team families we are leaving behind, and for the brothers and sister of the congregation (who, in spite of their relative youth in the faith in so many instances and their regret over the departure of 2 leading families) are stepping up to resume responsibilities for the overall health of the church. And ultimately... it is all about Him. He has done this work from the beginning - using us, wonder of wonders... His flawed but willing vessels - and He will carry it on to completion.

It is a bittersweet experience to say goodbye to teammates with whom you have invested so much time and energy and memories and life... many things and life events that not many other people may understand or have shared. There is a feeling of 'shared history', and of having endured and celebrated many aspects of life together. As I have been editing this blog book, I have been struck by the enormity of this shared history... both in my/our life and in the lives of my children. These are the people who have been present on the day of my childrens' births, who have celebrated our family's milestones, who have born the daily burden of ministry with us... rejoicing over the good and sharing struggles, who have known the ins and outs of our daily lives, who have been in and out of our front door more than anyone else, who have experienced the joys and frustrations of culture shock. "Team' is definitely a form of family... replete with all of the benefits and drawbacks.

Our church gave the Bulls a farewell luncheon a couple weeks before they left Bolivia. It was a beautiful and emotional time, as different ones shared and thanked the Bull family. We ended by praying over their family and their future. As I stood at the goodbye luncheon and then again at the airport as we saw them off, I remember feeling overwhelmed by a feeling of almost panic... that in a few short weeks, it would be me standing there saying difficult goodbyes.










And here the RAFT process continues... Before we left Bolivia, I intended to write a note to each of our team families to affirm the part they have played in my life, but it was one of those things that got buried along with many other good intentions. And so I figure here is as good a place as any. In alphabetical order, I might add.

Bulls: Gary and Laura, I have always admired the effort which you invested in 'making your life' in Bolivia. Gary, for one who came with very little Spanish, the time and effort you put into learning how to communicate was admirable. You all figured out how to make life work for you in Bolivia, and you did it. Laura, I admire the way you ran around town... discovering the best places to buy things... making relationships with all the little stores around your apartment. Both of you, with your organizational strengths, provided structure for our team and for our church. Your 'behind the scenes service' (in the kitchen, in the area of church finances) was invaluable. Laura, I will treasure the times we were able to pray and have coffee, and late night movies at the theatre (usually instigated by you :) and long phone conversataions. Gary, I know Josh appreciated the days on the golf course... recreational ministry as he calls it :) I have often thought in the last few months, too, about how God uses specific people in a time and place, when they are willing, to attract others to the Lord. I think your presence and friendship with ones like Jhonny and Ligia and their family was key in drawing them to the Lord. Thank you for sharing your boys with us, when (especially Josh) felt overpowered by females :) I will always treasure their unique personalities. We love you!

Forbesses: Jeff and Katie, every team needs a couple like you. Your unending compassion for people, your social connections that interest many in the church and the Lord, your ideas for outreach have all contributed in a great way. Your home was a revolving door for our team and church, and you were always ready to welcome someone (or some event) into your home and lives. Both of you, with your gift for teaching, were able to reach out and connect with a variety of different people... from English classes, to Bible classes, to helping families with children with special needs. Katie, you were the catalyst for our ladies ministry. Your love for Bolivia and the culture was always evident in the way you lived and experienced life. Katie, just as every team needs a couple like you, every introvert (me!) needs a friend like you. Thank you! Jeff and Katie, thank you both for the sincere interest you took in the lives of our children, and for fostering the friendships that grew up between our kids, both through school and play dates and special events. As one TCK raising 4 more, I will always be grateful for the memories my children have with yours. We will always be thankful for date and prayer nights! Thank you for being the ones willing to try out new places with us, for your sense of adventure, and for your flexibility. We love you!

Sandovals: Butch and Trish, we have been so thankful for your wisdom and experience on our team. You provided a stability in an era of many life changes for us, although in reality, you were experiencing just as many life changes in the lives of your family too! You have been gracious in all things. You have loved and cared for our children as if they were of your family. You provided some much needed date nights for which we will be eternally grateful - in some cases on very short notice :) Trish, the classes you provided for our toddlers have given them an unforgettable foundation in the Scripture and in life skills. They have a joy for going to Bible class that they might not have had if you had not provided them such a nurturing, supportive environment. Butch, from finding Barbie dolls to 'snoogles'... our girls never doubted your love for them. Your home and your hearts were always open both to the team and to the church and provided for many a safe haven in the middle of town in which to retreat. Each and every one felt special and welcome in your home... and I for one am grateful for the many delicious 'cafes' and meals... and for a clean bathroom when I needed one :) Butch, your classes at the Conexion have touched countless lives, and both you and Trish have provided a much needed balance in leadership of correction and encouragement. Trish, your creativity is really astounding! I never tired of seeing your 'works of art' and you provided a beauty to so many activities that would not have been there otherwise. We love you!

I'm sure that these words, although heartfelt and sincere, don't really do justice to all the ways each of you have contributed to the work and our lives in the last few years. The years we have spent with you all (the whole team) are unforgettable. Our lives are forever changed, and we will be grateful always that God gave us the opportunity to know you and work with you. Our prayers continue with you, even though our lives are now taking different paths. Thank you for your love for us, your love for the Lord, and your faithful service in His kingdom.

No comments: