Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Thursday, February 03, 2011

In Retrospect

I have not done a very good job of blogging over the last few months.

Honestly, it has been too difficult. There have been too many other things going on. But, in reality, it has been too difficult to find the initiative to sit down and write when there are so many different emotions and events to process through. Too much is fresh and raw. I haven't had the ability. I have felt like in some ways that I am in 'survival mode'.

These last few weeks at my parents' house have been what I have needed. A 'safe' space to rest and recuperate between lives so it seems. To be quite honest, although I have done some crying and some thinking... mostly I have just 'been'. I have done all the normal things that every mother does... Christmas preparations, laundry, cleaning, shopping, establishing routine for my children in another environment, some cooking... and some things that not every mother does... like homeschooling. I have also had time to do some things that I haven't had time to do in a long time. Like more consistency in my daily time with the Lord. Or reading a novel for enjoyment. Or watching Ladies Number One Detective Agency shows with my mother. Not that life has been boring... how can it be with 3 kids and with the daily drama of moving from one 3rd world country to another? But more on that later.

This last week I have decided to print the first 5 years of my blog as a book. It seems like a natural time. This has been a nostalgic process for me as I've been preparing and editing it. I have been more 'homesick' (if I even dare use that word, it has so many confusing connotations to me) for Bolivia in the past week than I have been since we left. It started when we were sitting in the Rainforest Cafe in Chicago last week and I heard a recording of a 'jungle' bird that sounded like one we heard frequently in Bolivia. Sounds silly, I know, but I miss hearing birds. And then sitting in the Ecuadorian consulate listening to the hum of Spanish speakers around me. And then as I look back over entries and pictures I have made over the last 5 years, the feeling has compounded. I miss friends and teammates, and church family, and yes, even life (although I will not be so dishonest as to say I miss all aspects of life!).

All of this is to say that I am going to be making some blog entries... in retrospect. Because of the lack of time before we left Cochabamba (as a result of all of the preparations to leave), it seems there are some important entries missing from the last few weeks of our life in Cochabamba. I would feel like I was cheating myself and my blog book if I didn't go back and post about them. And probably somewhere in midst of all these blogs, I will process a little bit on paper my feelings surrounding the drama of this international move.

So let the retrospection begin.

No comments: