Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Bolivian Day

So, this is probably the last thing I need to be doing right now, seeing as we have 50 people coming to our house for a barbecue tomorrow, but I had to put this down in writing while it was still fresh.

We went out this morning to run errands and buy things for the big day tomorrow. Keep in mind that both Josh and I had things to do so we decided to do them together, and seeing as our maid is on vacation for 2 weeks, that meant the whole family got to go. On the way to town we stop to order a big tent for tomorrow's party on the off chance that it rains tomorrow (which is a very good chance seeing as we have had a LOT of rain lately). Success!

Next stop... one of my favorite stores 'Home Center', which has a lot of fun household treasures - imported and local - for generally fair prices. We had to pick up a few things (staples for the staple gun to staple Michaela's mosquito net to the ceiling so she doesn't wake up looking like she has the chicken pox - we've had problems figuring out how to keep a net up over Michaela's bunk bed - and other various items). As we're there, we realize Josh has forgotten one of our errands at home - a package we needed to weigh. So we decide to buy a small scale as well to weigh the package at home. We get what we need, proceed to checkout (all the time, mind you, trying to corral and take to the potty 2 toddlers in a store with lots of toys and many breakable items - not a good combination). Thing is, we have some credit there, because Josh has returned something and didn't use up all the money in buying the replacement item. I have been there once already to try to use the money to no avail - the top manager must be there to credit us the money. We're in luck today. The manager is there. And she can't find our credit. We wait, she looks, we wait some more. It's like pulling teeth to get them to give us the 45Bs/$5. Finally, after half an hour, success again. 2nd errand accomplished.

Off next to the post office. Josh drops me off and I run in and up 3 flights of stairs to check for a package my mom sent 3 weeks ago. Wonder of wonders - it has arrived. And it only takes 10 minutes to pick it up. I make it outside before Josh even has time to circle around and pick me up. I take advantage of the time to buy some small watch baterries from a vendor on the street. Josh picks me up. The girls are excited to see all the treasures one manilla envelope can hold.

We park next on the busy street of Heroinas (praying we don't get a parking ticket - I have gotten 2 on this street for reasons that make no sense). Josh goes with the 2oldest to the grocery store run by the pork producing farm HAAS to buy meat for tomorrow's barbecue (it is cheaper to buy pork here than anywhere else in town). I walk 6 blocks with Jana in the sling to buy paper goods for tomorrow at a small outlet store (again, much cheaper to buy here than at the grocery stores). I return in taxi with my paper goods to meet Josh as he is checking out with 16 lbs/$50 worth of meat (half a suckling pig, 2 kilos of sausage, and 2 chickens). Items 4 and 5 accomplished.

(On a side note, we have little wasps (they look like mud daubers to me) nesting in the hood of our car. Every time we start it up, they swarm up. So in the midst of all the loading and unloading of the day, we're dodging wasps. Fun, fun!)

Next, lunch. It is now 1 o clock and the girls are getty fussy. We go to a grill restaurant with a playground so the kids can run off some energy. Our food takes a long time. The kids are ready to loose it by the end, but the lollipops they give them as we leave makes it all worth it.

Josh drops me off next at another grocery store to look for a disposable aluminum pan (which I have seen at the other store location in town) to catch the drippings of the pork as it smokes. Unsuccessful. I rush back to the car, hoping the kids haven't fallen asleep yet.

Finally, on our way home. But we desperately need to find gas for the car (we've been looking for about 5 days - everyone is out). We've driven by 3 gas stations throughout the morning (gas stations in Boliva are few and far between) - all without gasoline. We are getting desperate - the light of the gas tank is on. We try 2 more. No luck. One more shot and if it doesn't work we'll just have to hope and pray we make it home on the little we have. I say a prayer as we go. And, praise God, we drive up just as the gas truck is unloading fuel! The line is already forming. We rush to turn around and race a sports car back to the station. Yes, we're about 7th in line! And so we wait. The line grows to about 30 cars. After 20 minutes of waiting and they haven't even started pumping gas yet, I decide to get a cab and take the girls and the meat home. I cross the road and hail a cab. Then back to the car to get the girls and 16 pounds of meat. Josh has to stay in the car unless the line starts moving (otherwise people will squeeze in front of us). So I get the 2 girls by the hands, backpack on the back, baby in the sling and the pounds of meat and cross the busy street to pile in the taxi and go home. I have a really good conversation with the taxi driver on the way home. Maybe he'll come to church someday.

We made it! Home at last. 3 o clock. All in all, it has been a successful morning. Rule of thumb in a 3rd world country - if you get half the items on your agenda accomplished, you have had a successful day. I get kids in their beds and decide that it has been a bloggable day. So after all are asleep I head upstairs for some Julie time. Josh says blogging is an outlet for me. He's right.

(As I'm finishing this, my husband is just getting back from the gas station. It is now 4:30).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a day :-)

Have fun at your party!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Julie! You have reminded many of us how wonderful we have it in the states. I know your party will be a blessing to many. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Larry Stephens said...

This is for Josh. I remember at some mission class the teacher asking how I spent my time. I put in about 10 to 15% waiting and that was probably conservative. Actually, Cochabamba is probably a bit better than Kisumu or even Nairobi was. God be with you.
Dad

Diane said...

Good blog, Julie. Thanks for the insight into what was a typical Cochbamba day. By the way, we've had a little trouble with wasps and someone told us when it's dark to spray WD40 directly into the nest. All the wasps are in for the night so you generally only have to do it once. Good luck.
Love, Mom

The Holmans In Bolivia said...

Wow! I am truly impressed that you got so much done and with your girlies no less. Good job. Some days I feel like I get very little on my list accomplished. I love days that I actually feel like I get something done.