Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Monday, December 08, 2008

Musings of a TCK

So I just recently watched Prince Caspian for the first time. We finally found a good pirated copy in the Cancha. Note to readers: it is next to impossible to find an original copy of anything technological here in Boliva, whether it be software, music, or movies. Sorry if this wounds your conscience (it did mine at first, especially coming from a teacher's background where copyright is ironclad!) Anyway, the only copy we could find for the longest time was filmed in the theater in Spanish. I refuse to watch such trash. So we waited until our last trip to the Cancha when we found a good copy in English. Definitely worth the wait. I have watched it twice since buying it. I am one of those people who unashamedly watch their favorite movies umpteen times and read their favorite books until they are best friends. My husband is quite the opposite - he won't watch a movie again until he's completely forgoten it (taking approximately 3 years).

Anyway, the first time I pondered the different spiritual applications. However, the second time, 2 scenes stuck in my mind with an entirely different focus. I was struck how the 4 Pevensie children are, in many ways, a classic example of TCKS (third culture kids). Belonging to their parents' home culture, and yet growing up in an entirely different magical world. And I think I appreciated this movie on another whole level because I relate to it in this way.

Scene 1:
Susan: You always knew we'd be coming back here, didn't you?
Lucy: I hoped so.
Susan: I finally just got used to the idea of being in England again.
Lucy: But you're glad to be here, right?
Susan: While it lasts.

I think that's the hope of every TCK - to go back - wherever back is too, whether it be the home culture or the place they are growing up. And once there, we're happy, enjoying it, but knowing that it probably won't ever last. Struggling to get used to the idea of being where we are.

Scene 2:
Caspian: I will look after it until you return.
Susan: I'm afraid that's just it. We're not coming back.
Lucy: We're not?
Peter: You 2 are, at least I think he means you 2.
Lucy: But why? Did they do something wrong?
Aslan: Quite the opposite my dear. All things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own.
Peter: It's all right, Lu. It's not how I thought it would be, but it's all right. One day you'll see too.
Susan: I'm glad I came back.

All things have their time. How fitting. We learn what we can from where we're at, and then we go on to live in the time and place we find ourselves in the moment. Not that we always understand it, or that we always think it's the way it should be. I find myself in some ways in the shoes of Peter and Susan. Longing to be Edmund and Lucy (like so many of my friends and even family) who get to go back. But it's all right. And someday I pray my children will see that too. If I ever get the chance to go back... I will be glad.

But I think the part that moved me to tears was the lyrics to the song by Six Pence None the Richer at the very end.

"It started out as a feeling, which then grew into a hope.
Which then turned into a quiet thought,
Which then turned into a quiet word.
And then the word grew louder and louder until it was a battle cry
I'll come back, when you call me.
No need to say goodbye.

Just because everything's changing doesn't mean it's never been this way before.
All you can do is try to know who your friends are as you head off to war.
Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light.
You'll come back when it's over.
No need to say goodbye.

Now we're back to the beginning, it's just a feeling and no one knows yet.
But just because they can't feel it too, doesn't mean that you have to forget.
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger until they're before your eyes.
You'll come back, when they call you.
No need to say goodbye.
You'll come back, when they call you.
No need to say goodbye."

No need to say goodbye. To me - that is heaven. All of God's children gathered in one place regardless of location or language. No need to say goodbye. Until then, I'll let my memories bring me back to the places and people I love.

My husband will probably read this and think me sentimental (keep in mind, he is a TCK too). Which I guess I am in a way. It's not like I generally spend my time brooding over thoughts like this. But there are times when a sight, or a smell, or a taste, or a movie, or a moment, will draw me back so strongly to my childhood home. I guess this was one of those times - I felt what Lucy felt as she walked through the tree, looking back, longing to stay.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Julie, what a great reflection. I loved reading this from a TCK's perspective. It is weird to think that is one area in life that I will never be able to relate to in my children's lives. I totally eat up the "TCK" classes they offer at any workshop I attend. I think you should have this published somewhere for all the TCK's and mothers of TCK's in the world. Thanks for your insight. On a side note, Prince Caspian was the last movie we saw in the theatre before coming to Peru.

Anonymous said...

First, I re-watch movies I like, too!

Second, I appreciated learning that you have a sentimental side through this clear and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing!

Third, as I was reading the first part of the post when you were describing the thoughts and feelings of third culture kids I wondered if we might, as you alluded to in the final part of this fabulous post, take the same attitude as we refer to heaven. Good thoughts.

See you Friday. :-)

Campbell Family said...

Good thoughts, Julie. I will have to rewatch Prince Caspian (hoping I get it for Christmas!) with that perspective in mind. Thanks for sharing. Love you, Laura

Larry Stephens said...

Julie, thank you for your insights. I would point out also that we will have our first TCK president in a few weeks. No matter what your political persusasion it should be interesting.

Diane said...

Julie,
What beautiful thoughts you shared. Yes, Christians are in many ways TCK's, even those who don't know what the term means!
It warms my heart to see our children giving us insights. I love you, om

Rachel, Bryan, and Corban said...

Julie--I left a comment on this post on your facebook. I didn't realize it was here. So check it out there! Thanks so much for sharing . . .