Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth—everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.... “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
Isaiah 43:1-3, 7, 10-13

Monday, December 15, 2008

The Books

Our trip to and from Ecuador was something of an adventure. Our flight was delayed leaving Cochabamba, when we arrived at our hotel in La Paz, they had lost our reservations, and by the time we got to our room I discovered that a sippy cup of milk had leaked in the diaper bag, requiring a complete unpacking of the bag to let everything dry. The next morning in the craziness of early rising to get to the airport and catch our next flight, I accidentally left 4 books and 2 sets of stickers in the hotel room. Problem being that these were 2 of Michaela's favorite books, a great bible sticker book I found on 75% off in the States, and an preschool activity book my mom sent. I realized this as we were boarding the plane, and was just sick about it. I always select the things with which we travel with the greatest care (i.e. only taking the things that have the most entertainment value). My sweet husband got on the phone and called the hotel, asking them to hold the stuff for us until our return in 3 weeks. They graciously complied.

The problem was that when we returned to Bolivia, we had another 'adventure'. Our flight did not even land in La Paz due to high winds. They flew us to Santa Cruz instead, deboarded us at 1:30am, and then proceeded to tell us that we were to wait in the airport all night (and drink a cup of coffee on them) - the flight would leave the next morning. With 3 kids! We told them that wouldn't work for us - that we were getting off in Santa Cruz and would change our tickets the next day to fly from Santa Cruz to Cochabamba. They said that was fine, and then proceeded to take 2hours to get our bags off the plane. We got to the hotel at 3:30am and I then realized that we were supposed to pick our books up in the hotel in La Paz. At which point I basically wrote them off as lost.

But my sweet husband, knowing that they were important to me because they are important to my daughter, got on the phone the next week and found a 'courier service' in La Paz (who knew they had such a thing in Bolivia?) and called them up - asked them to pick up the books at the hotel and bring them to his office here. They said they would be there the next day. We waited 3 days. Nothing. So Josh called again. They had the package, but had lost the address. Josh gave it to them again. The next day the books and stickers arrived - all of them - and we paid the service 10 Bolivianos (about a $1.50)! I couldn't believe it. Sometimes things pleasantly surprise you.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Julie,
Just when you think you can't take anymore you realize that there really are good people, good services and good aspects about where you live. Josh, you're a good man!
Love, Mom

Megan said...

Good story!

Anonymous said...

So glad you got your books back and intact nonetheless.

laura said...

Oh my goodness, there is redemption in Bolivia! :) What a great story! I'm so glad the books are home safe and sound!